HELP: GRUB or Part. Table damaged by QTPARTED!!

Hans Troost fedora at troost.tweakdsl.nl
Mon Oct 25 09:25:41 UTC 2004

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your extensive answer and explanations: something to study for
me, but in the meanwhile I think I understand most of it.

Also executed all repair steps as you recommended, starting with booting
using the interactive GRUB commands that you showed. Perfect!!

So I repaired both FSTAB and GRUB.CONF as you told me and re-installed GRUB.

But... the system still won't boot and end up with the GRUB-prompt.

Can it be the following:
1. for the dual-boot installation with XP I had to copy the boot-partition
to a file and use it in my XP-boot process, according to
http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.htm.

2. Do I have to re-do this now to get my machine back to normal,
succesfull linux boot? Or is something else still rotten?

(currently no other info, I'm at my work now and just take some minutes to
 send a web-mail)

Thanks again,
Hans Troost