Fedora For Kids

Don Maxwell don.maxwell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 16:08:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:43:24 -0600  "Christopher A. Williams"
<chrisw01 at privatei.com> penned:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 11:13 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> >

> > > My 2 (almost 3) loves playing some games.  Set up his own account.
> > Each of my 4 kids has their own machine with their own accounts.  I use
> > squid and iptables to lock them to specific sites they can visit.  They
> > pretty much have to ask permission to get a new one bookmarked and
> > allowed.  My 5 year old has no trouble getting to the games and web
> > stuff because the icons on FC2 are pretty large to begin with (and are
> > huge on a 21-inch flat screen.)  My 8 year old does all her work in OOo
> > and knows how to save in Word format to take to school.  My 10 year old
> > does that same, but has access to more sites and is able to make certain
> > changes to her desktop, etc.  She even has her own GPG key for email and
> > such.  My 13 (almost 14 year old) loves Fedora and nearly failed a
> > computer skills test at her Junior High School because she doesn't know
> > Windows that well.  I personally don't see any need to try to customize
> > Fedora for kids.  Besides, if they know it now, they won't be too
> > bothered by it later.
>
> Same here: For kids ages 16, 10 6 and 3. Currently testing out FC3T3.
>
> All have their own accounts (except for the youngest). All are using
> Firefox equipped with Flash Plugin and play their favorite games at
> Cartoonnetwork.com, Disney's sites and Nickelodeon.com. Local games like
> Tux Racer are big-time hits for them.

Sorry to say the idea was a bust in my household.  Within 10 minutes
my 9 year-old daughter had a problem on Barbie.com that I was unable
to resolve.  It was over the summer, so the details escape me now.  It
might be worthwhile to turn her loose again so that I can detail what
was wrong, if there is any interest.

  --Don