how to share internet connection--beginner

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 25 22:08:28 UTC 2004

fan yu wrote:

>my modem is usb only so i don think i need a extra network.in
>windowsXP i can share the connection directly in the network
>connection.my problem is how to configure the sharing of connection

I don't know how long you've begun your Linux use, Alexander had passed
you the right track to setup a Linux gateway
to share Internet connection - use a Linux machine to act as a router,
but you need to do some iptable settings as that
How-to illustrated, as long as you can setup you Linux to use a network
card to connect to a network, you shouldn't
have any problem, in case it is difficult for you, and all you need is
to use a machine to share out Internet connection to other machines,
you can do it the other way around - Use XP to connect to your DSL
modem to get the DSL signal, and the second network card in the XP
machine to be assigned for sharing Internet connection to other machine
or hub ( for more machines).
However you  if you really want to go on Linux way, make a Linux gate is
a good project!