how to share internet connection--beginner

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Mon Oct 25 22:14:24 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:08 -0700, Barry Yu wrote:
> fan yu wrote:
>
> >my modem is usb only so i don think i need a extra network.in
> >windowsXP i can share the connection directly in the network
> >connection.my problem is how to configure the sharing of connection
> >

> in case it is difficult for you, and all you need is
> to use a machine to share out Internet connection to other machines,
> you can do it the other way around - Use XP to connect to your DSL
> modem to get the DSL signal, and the second network card in the XP
> machine to be assigned for sharing Internet connection to other machine
> or hub ( for more machines).

Not a good idea.

Having the Linux machine as the gateway will be ***FAR*** more secure.
The XP machine will get hacked, cracked, sliced, and diced for sure, and
it will not take long for this to happen.

My solution (well-tested): Shorewall (http://www.shorewall.net) will
configure your firewall, gateway, and everything related to it. When
downloading the software (in RPM form, of course), also get the "Two-
Interface Quick Setup Guide".

Use your USB modem as the external interface and your network card as
the external interface, and you should be up and running with very
little trouble and very good security in about 15 minutes.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>