Mirroring /boot with s/w RAID

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Mon Oct 25 23:47:22 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:

>You should only need to tweak the install on the second disk when
>you tweak it on the first, e.g. after installing a new version of grub
>due to an OS update. Or am I missing something?
>
>Paul.

Correct.  Grub, unlike LILO, embeds only disk and partition info in the
MBR with some boot loader stages.  It uses its knowledge of filesystems
to  find the configuration file and files referenced by it.  LILO by
contrast embeds the boot choices and the block address of the kernel and
initrd for each entry.

Because of these differences this procedure only needs to be repeated if
you change which partition contains the /boot files, or if you install a
different version of Grub as Paul suggested, or if you replace a disk.

Chris