RE: IPTables and logging - performance issues?

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your reply.

I am looking to setup a basic IDS system, where attempts to connect to certain ports are logged in the usual places.  At the moment, I am logging connections to telnet ports, then I run a script every night to report on connection attempts.

Hardware specs shouldn't be a problem, server has only just been purchased and runs dual xeon cpus, scsi drives etc.  I guess by your suggestions, the only time performance might be an issue, is during an attack (portscan etc), which would probably hinder performance anyway.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Ben