IPTables and logging - performance issues?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Oct 26 00:23:35 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 26.10.2004 schrieb Ben Halicki um 2:11:

> I am looking to setup a basic IDS system, where attempts to connect to certain ports are logged in the
> usual places.  At the moment, I am logging connections to telnet ports, then I run a script every night to
> report on connection attempts.

> Ben

Have a close look at psad http://www.cipherdyne.com/psad/, which is a
'simple' tool, actively developed (in contrast to portsentry) and using
nsort rulesets. The alert level is adjustable and reports are done
automatically.

Alexander

P.S. Please avoid sending html formatted mails to this list. Use just
plain text please.

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 02:19:23 up 5 days, 22:58, load average: 0.26, 0.14, 0.21