Re: How are fedora kernels modified from vanilla kernels

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

If I want to recompile the kernel (I might have to do it to solve a ACPI DSDT problem with a laptop), what should I used, kernel-sourcecode or
kernel src.rpm?

What are your skills in handling SRC.RPMs? I prefer to have an RPM, so I
choose the kernel SRC.RPM, i.e. when I patch in the user-mode-linux
patch. (Yes, with the kernel-sourcecode you can run "make rpm" too, but
the the makefile uses a much more basic spec file to create an RPM.)

Alexander

If i figure it right, it means that the src.rpm gives me the patches AND the plain vanilla kernel. So If I want to recompile I still have to apply the patches to bring the version of my kernel up to whatever point number is being used, 2.6.8.1-521, for example. That is before I do the menuconfig thing.

Am I right?

Javier