Any suggestion for good linux books?

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Tue Oct 26 12:50:16 UTC 2004

ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:

>Can somebody
>suggest good linux books for me. I have tried some but of no success.

Teach yourself BASH scripting. Then learn Perl scripting. Although they
won't teach you anything about Linux in and of themselves, they are
invaluable tools with which you can communicate effectively with the O/S.

The best site I've found for BASH is : http://en.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
There are several good PERL sites, but CPAN is probably the site to
start with : http://www.cpan.org/

Lastly, you might want to read and re-read, and re-read once again all
the man pages for the commands you encounter during your wanderings.
Admittedly that's a tough way to gain an education, but its the
documentation for the tools that we use to communicate with the O/S. Its
specific to Linux and specific to a particular distribution of Linux,
which is usually a lot better than the generic verbage offered in books
on the subject.

You can convert man pages to text files via a command like:
    man ssh | col -b >ssh.txt
and then modify and eventually print the text file to make your own book.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com