OT: Rejoining video files

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Oct 26 14:18:41 UTC 2004

david walcroft wrote:
> Hi,
>    Can someone tell me how to rejoin .mpeg/.avi/.mov/.wmv type files,
> I have some from a local binaries usenet and to post they split them
> up some are 6 sections and have an .eml added,the majority use M$ to OP.
>  I'm using fc2 and mplayer but know nothing of video.
>
>    Thanks   david

Let me understand clearly.

You are downloading a multipart binary from Usenet.  You get something
like yyy.avi.001 yyy.avi.002 yyy.avi.003 in your saved directory,
correct? (I was going to use xxx but I thought that was suggesting
something.) ;)

Now if this is correct, then all you have to do is cat them together.
  I have done this for years.  Now to compound things, I have found
that  if and .avi file is missing a segment, and it of some certain
formats, it won't play past the missing segment.  I have run across
the same problem with .wmv files.  I wrote a simple script but it
won't work with files that have spaces in their names.

Now if you look at the instructions for mencoder, there is a method
that will join avi segments and process the index.  It works
sometimes.  I did have a command that would repair avi's and process
avi segments using mencoder but I lost it during the xmas cleanup.  I
shouldn't have relied on a sticky note to stay around.

Also if you have a problem with a file, using mplayer -idx filename
sometimes helps as well.

Mplayer is a nice tool but I found that avifile that was on RH 6 was
great as it would play almost any segment of a file which I cannot get
mplayer to do.  It could have something to do with the codec of the avi.

Look at the mplayer/mencoder documentation.
--
Robin Laing