Any suggestion for good linux books?

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Oct 26 14:47:30 UTC 2004

ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:

> Fedora-core 2). I hav fair amount of computer background.(Since my
> Bachelor degree was in Computer Science engineering). Can somebody
> suggest good linux books for me. I have tried some but of no success.
> Either they r too basic or too complex. I now the general concept of
> OS, Networks, etc. I hav not formally had any leasons in unix or
> linux. Little knowledge that i gained was through HOWTOs, info. Now i
> wish to become an EXPERT in linux. I am not inclined to do

Figuring that you have the prerequisite understanding of how OSes work,
etc. and some programming skills, you might want to look into some
"advanced basics" book - I liked "Advanced Unix Programming" (2nd
edition, the first is around 20 years old). It's a fun way to figure the
"internals" of the OS, while giving you interesting tasks to play with.
It also does not assume you got plenty of UNIX experience. A good
knowledge of C is recommended, though. The book treats Linux in quite a
detail, but tries to teach how to write portable code.

On the other hand, if you are interested in becoming an admin, I
recommend that you mostly try to play with all kinds of things you find
in Linux, search the web for good ideas how to do things (lots and lots
of HOWTOs out there), and ask here, when you get stuck.

Good luck,

//Andro

--
Andrey Andreev