Arch conflicts between i386, x86_64 with redhat-artwork

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 01:43:30 UTC 2004

Hi,
I'm running FC2 x86_64 on my laptop.  Yum refuses to update because of
the redhat-artwork rpm package.  OpenOffice.org (i386) wants
redhat-artwork-0.96-1.i386, but I have redhat-artwork-0.96-1.x86_64
installed, which is needed by other installed programs.  When it tries
to install the i386 one, it complains that it conflicts with the
x86_64 package.  Why there are two different packages, first of all,
makes no sense to me.  Are these not just pictures and such?  The
description says "contains the themes and icons."  Is there a way to
force yum to go ahead and install, since it seems likely that there
won't be a problem with using the x86_64 artwork package?  Or at least
skip the ones it can't install and go ahead with what it can?  There
is a whole list of things to install/update.  Why should it die if it
cannot install one package and there are other packages do not depend
on that package?

Jonathan