Question about FC2 X-CD-ROAST

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 27 05:33:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 10:34:52AM -0500, Michael Sullivan wrote:

> I tried to burn a back up CD today (my first one since using FC2).  The
> nautilus CD writer kept giving me errors and xcdroast did too.  I
> eventually had to log in as root and use xcdroast.  I have a question
> about that.  I've used xcdroast on RH9, FC1 and now FC2.  It writes the
> CD and ejects it.  The status label says "Error writing tracks", but I
> can look at the files on the CD and they look fine - I can even extract
> them just fine.  Where's the error?  It was like that on FC1 too.  Is
> this an actual problem?  Is there actually an error, or is it just an
> aesthetic detail that they haven't gotten around to fixing yet?

What you are seeing is the impact of a low level hardware access risk.

To prevent bad interaction with the low level of various types of
hardware a whole class of access was turned off in the kernel
for non root users.

The most recent kernel patches address some of this issue
but for now the engineering solution to be safe is a good thing.

Keep the kernel up2date.

Later,

	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy
	and may your buffers never overflow.