How can I initiate offline surface scan on a SMART enabled hard disk?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 27 07:28:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 10:47:37AM +0100, VJ wrote:
> From: "VJ" <vj at vijaygill.homelinux.net>
> To: "fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:47:37 +0100
> Subject: How can I initiate offline surface scan on a SMART enabled hard
> 	disk?
>
> Hi,
>     I tried looking for this in man page but could not fifure out how to do
> that. The drive is capable of offline surface scan as reported by
> 'smartctl -c'. Does anybody know how to do this?

Something like this....

   # smartctl -?

   #smartctl -t long /dev/hda    (Executes extended disk self-test)

   -t TEST, --test=TEST
        Run test.  TEST is: offline short long conveyance select,
	M-N pending,N afterselect,on afterselect,off

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy