mysql 4.x and fedoracore2

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Wed Oct 27 14:24:24 UTC 2004

On Mit, 2004-10-27 at 10:01 -0400, James Kosin wrote:
> MySQL changed their GPL and the people of Fedora, etc. did not like the
> changes.  Basically, they are requiring anyone who uses MySQL for any
> commercial or managed purpose other than testing or development to pay
> royalties to MySQL.

MySQL4 is available under the terms of the GPL or a commercial license.
Additionally there is an exception to permit linking with proprietary
free and open source licensed software like the PHP.

> They also have provisions to not distribute the source for some modules
> of MySQL.

MySQL is licensed and distributed under the terms of the GPL, this means
that the complete source code must be made available. Except from your
posting I have not heard of any missing source and one could even sue
MySQL to provide it.

> I could be wrong on some points, but you get the gist.  Basically, they
> have started a move away from open source.  MySQL 3.23.58 is the last
> with the open source GPL, so that is what FC2 has included.

On the contrary they have moved TOWARDS open source. Evil companies are
no longer allowed to include MySQL with their closed source products,
they have to either stick with MySQL-3, go GPL or pay the open source
community their well deserved share.

> I'm sure I'll get flamed for some of my comments; because my points
> above may not be totally true.  I'm not good a speaking lawerese.

I have CC'ed this post to the MySQL licensing department and sincerely
hope that they will sue you for spreading this FUD.

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

Windows 98 supports real multitasking - it can boot and crash simultaneously.