Intro to services

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed Oct 27 14:36:27 UTC 2004

Bill Matthews wrote:

>Hello.  New linux user here.  Downloaded/installed Fedora FC2.  No
>problems, I was amazed!
>
>I have a lot of Windows experience, and some Solaris.
>
>I installed the server version of Fedora.  I setup and have working
>sendmail, vsftpd, httpd, etc.
>
>But I noticed they dont start at boot.  I start them manually.  From
>my solaris days I know I can start them with /etc/rc3.d/Swhatever
>start.  I've also learned from this mailing list that I can start them
>with the command 'service whatever start'.
>
>But how do I get them to load at boot?  In Solaris, the existance of
>the S script in /etc/rc3.d was enough.  But that doesnt seem to do it
>here?
>
>thx,
>BM

There are gui tools on the menu for configuring "servers", but if you
like command-line, read "man chkconfig".
Typical use:
chkconfig httpd on
chkconfig --list
[to see list of services and runlevels they are on for]

Sets httpd to start at runlevels 2,3,4,5.

service httpd start

Is convenient to start it manually, see help text from "service".

Chris