Intro to services

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 14:43:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 10:23, Bill Matthews wrote:
> Hello.  New linux user here.  Downloaded/installed Fedora FC2.  No
> problems, I was amazed!
>
> I have a lot of Windows experience, and some Solaris.
>
> I installed the server version of Fedora.  I setup and have working
> sendmail, vsftpd, httpd, etc.
>
> But I noticed they dont start at boot.  I start them manually.  From
> my solaris days I know I can start them with /etc/rc3.d/Swhatever
> start.  I've also learned from this mailing list that I can start them
> with the command 'service whatever start'.
>
> But how do I get them to load at boot?  In Solaris, the existance of
> the S script in /etc/rc3.d was enough.  But that doesnt seem to do it
> here?
>
> thx,
> BM

Actually the S scripts are used the same way.  You can use chkconfig to
easily setup the startup scripts.

chkconfig sendmail on
chkconfig httpd on

Assuming here you are using the RPM versions of both which include the
/etc/init.d startup files.  These startup files include information at
the beginning that specifies which run levels the packages should run in
as well as the sequence number used in the S script.

Check the man page for chkconfig for additional options.

You can also use the system-config-services GUI to control which
services are started automatically including those that are controlled
with xinetd.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with 100% mortality.