mysql 4.x and fedoracore2

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Wed Oct 27 15:23:28 UTC 2004

Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:

>MySQL4 is available under the terms of the GPL or a commercial license.
>Additionally there is an exception to permit linking with proprietary
>free and open source licensed software like the PHP.

Ok, your point is valid here; but they do implement an EXCEPTION to the GPL.

>On the contrary they have moved TOWARDS open source. Evil companies are
>no longer allowed to include MySQL with their closed source products,
>they have to either stick with MySQL-3, go GPL or pay the open source
>community their well deserved share.

You have to include YOU and I along with those Evil Companies.  The
agreement applies to ALL code generated, compiled, distributed with the
MySQL libraries.

So, If you created something really neat and wanted to pass it along to
a friend, you have two choices.  a) Give your friend (or not) the
complete source to your new gadget or (b) Purchase the commercial
license from MySQL to be able to distribute the binary only to your friend.

Basically, this statement alone locks everyone into their GPL agreement
unless you purchase a commercial license.  For all works you create.

Correct me if I'm still wrong; because we (you, I and all of us here)
could get MySQL4 included in the Fedora distribution if in fact this
falls under the GPL.

James Kosin