mysql 4.x and fedoracore2

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 15:39:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 11:31, Paul Howarth wrote:

> > Basically, this statement alone locks everyone into their GPL agreement
> > unless you purchase a commercial license.  For all works you create.
>
> And that is the entire *point* of the GPL. To keep derivative works in the
> free software community. All GPLed software works this way.
>
> Paul.

If you were modifying the mysql code and providing a different version
fine.  But in most cases you are simply using the database program not
modifying its source code.  Your data structures and code that interacts
with the database should be unencumbered.  Kind of like saying that
since you compiled your program using gcc that it now has to be
published as source code.  I don't think that was the intention of the
GPL.  And is not the way most people have interpreted it.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The shortest distance between any two puns is a straight line.