mysql 4.x and fedoracore2

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Wed Oct 27 16:03:41 UTC 2004

On Mit, 2004-10-27 at 10:59 -0400, James Kosin wrote:
> If all these things are true, then why doesn't Fedora Core x contain the
> latest MySQL version?

That is a very good question that has been the subject of many lengthy
discussions here. To make a long story short:
- MySQL has changed their license to GPL (or commercial) with release 4
- RedHat has pointed out that this does not allow shipping PHP binaries
  linked against MySQL
- MySQL has provided the FOSS exception
- RedHat came up with the lame excuse that their legal department is not
  satisfied with the FOSS exception but failed to provide any arguments

> And like I said, I'm not a lawyer, so I'm a little rusty at interpreting
> the underlying meaning on the license agreement; so, I default to the
> Fedora managers that decided not to include MySQL4 for licensing reasons.

The last refusal from RedHat came from Tom Lane who I know as a hardcore
postgresql evangelist, see below:

From rom Tom Lane (tgl at redhat.com)  on 2004-10-18 14:38 -------
> I would like nothing better than to drop 3.x and ship 4.x.  Our legal
> department is however unsatisfied with MySQL AB's FLOSS exception, and
> the ball is in their court.

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=*postgresql*&as_uauthors=%22tom%20lane%22

Tom

--
  T h o m a s   Z e h e t b a u e r   ( TZ251 )
  PGP encrypted mail preferred - KeyID 96FFCB89

UNIX is user-friendly ... it's just selective about who it's friends are