mysql 4.x and fedoracore2

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 16:04:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 11:48, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > If you were modifying the mysql code and providing a different version
> > fine.  But in most cases you are simply using the database program not
> > modifying its source code.  Your data structures and code that interacts
> > with the database should be unencumbered.  Kind of like saying that
> > since you compiled your program using gcc that it now has to be
> > published as source code.  I don't think that was the intention of the
> > GPL.  And is not the way most people have interpreted it.
>
> Most MySQL apps will be linked against the MySQL libraries. The developers
> have made a conscious decision to license the software under the GPL rather
> than the LGPL (which would allow 'unencumbered' distribution in the manner you
> described), so that's clearly *their* intention. And it's the way the GPL is
> intended to work. The GNU readline library is licensed in the same way. If you
> use it, you must GPL your code. If you don't want to do that, don't use it.
>
> Paul.

Which is what I have done.  I chose to use posgresql instead which has
no such restriction.

They forced the issue.  I would have been happy to continue using mysql
for the internal applications that had been developed.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

The English country gentleman galloping after a fox -- the unspeakable
in full pursuit of the uneatable.
		-- Oscar Wilde, "A Woman of No Importance"