OT: Political Spam - what can you do about it?

Dave Lester dlester at davenet.org
Wed Oct 27 19:36:50 UTC 2004

Well, I'm no lawyer, but I think if this guy is causing your company to
lose  the value associated with it's intangible assets ie, it's good name,
then you can kill his account and let him go someplace else.

If your company is a private company, then they can do business with
anyone they want.  Your company should also have some sort of legal
representation even if it's only a small company. Otherwise it won't be in
business too long if it doesn't.  I would temporarily suspend his account
and turn him over to your legal department and let them send him a
threatening letter.  If you have too many complaints about SPAM, your
company as an ISP will find itself blacklisted and none of your customers
will be able to send e-mail to companies that subscribe to dns black
listing services.

My non professional $.02 worth!

redhat said:
> I have a customer on our system (we're local ISP) that fancies himself
> quite the political spinmeister.  He absolutely inundates people with
> his (what I call) SPAM email.  We have received numerous complaints
> about this guy from all over the US (mostly colleges that he targets)
> requesting that this guy be shut down.  He even "attacked" me one day
> not knowing who I was and told me that he would sue us if we tried to
> take his email privileges away and gave me a link to some government
> site with various documents on what "is" email spam and what is "not"
> email spam.  Apparently (I read all of the docs) when the lawmakers
> created this anti-spam law they removed the label "spam" from anything
> that is political in nature (so they could use it themselves and be
> above the law).  It would appear that this guy has me beaten but I just
> can't stand to sit back and watch this guy annoy other domains the way
> that he does.  Does anyone else out there have any "knowledge" or
> insight on this issue or can give me a link to some good resources? I
> have already scoured the ".gov" sites and it doesn't look good.
> thanks,
> Doug
>
> --

Dave Lester