OT backup mysql databases

Hi guys,

I have a few small mysql databases on my system. I backup my whole system every week with a cpio backup to tape.
Is a cpio backup good enough for mysql databases?
If I restore the /var/lib/mysql directory structure, will i have full access again ?
Do I need to stop the mysqld service before creating the backup ?

TIA
Edwin