OT backup mysql databases

Glen Staufer alaxsxaq at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 21:29:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:50:22 +0200, Edwin Dicker <fedora at dicker.nl> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a few small mysql databases on my system. I backup my whole system
> every week with a cpio backup to tape.
> Is a cpio backup good enough for mysql databases?
> If I restore the /var/lib/mysql directory structure, will i have full access
> again ?
> Do I need to stop the mysqld service before creating the backup ?

If you can shut the database down during backup, that is the simplest
way to do it.

There are a variety of online backup methods which you can learn more
about in the mysql documentation including mysqldump and mysqlhotcopy.
 I would suggest that you read the documentation
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Backup.html) on backup since there
are steps you should follow to ensure that a backup performed with one
of these methods is adequate for recovery.

Glenn