mysql 4.x and fedoracore2

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 28 00:57:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 12:41:13PM -0400, James Kosin wrote:
> Birju Prajapati wrote:
>
> >OK...what I dont get is that there are so many websites that profit
> >from MySQL running things other than PHP (where there is an 'optional
> >GPL Licence'). So are these companies 'distributing binaries'? Will
> >they have to reveal their source? Can HTML be defined as a binary??!!
> >If the website has a Java applet, this is a binary, right?
> >

> They have to reveal their source, unless they have a commercial license!

One unclear part in this discussion is to whom the source must be revealed.

If I sell Bob an enhancement he is entitled to the source of that
derrived work.  A derrived work of GPL code would also be GPL.
Ancillary code could be outside of the GPL.

There is no requirement that my change be exposed to a third party
(Bill) even if the derrived work is GPL.  i.e. Bob and I can keep our
changes unexposed.

This protects Bob from disasters like me being run over by a truck and
the only source archive being lost in the wreck.  It protects Bob from
me being unreasonable on future enhancements bug fixes etc...
i.e. other contractors can be retained to continue the work on GPL
code.

It permits Bob and I to have a profitable relationship, perhaps
excluding others.

It permits me to sell an equivalent enhancement and service to yet
another party.  It effectively keeps Bob from imposing a trade secret
contract restriction on me.

If any of my 'clents' exposes the code to the public ... they can,
as can I.

In MySQL there is a corner where Bob and I can purchase rights
that release us from the GPL

The MySQL problem has to do with distribution of a handfull of binaries
not distribution of source.

The BSD folks have this trick where the source is downloaded and
a local compile generates the binary.  This is friendly to MySQL
as I understand it.   The zinger is the one or two precompiled binary
objects that taint the whole pile.

In the MySQL pile is ....
    Exception Intent
    ================

    We want specified Free/Libre and Open Source Software ("FLOSS")
    applications to be able to use specified GPL-licensed MySQL client
    libraries (the "Program") despite the fact that not all FLOSS licenses
    are compatible with version 2 of the GNU General Public License (the
    "GPL").

If I was Redhat I would look at this and the RH policy
of only including GPL code and find a not=/=equal result
and exclude it.

For you and I generating a data base for use there is no problem.  It
gets tangled if we want to develope a non GPL package and sell it.

I used the word tangled.... In MySQL they have collected a pile
of differen licences.  Many are not GPL friendly even if they are
open source friendly.  It only takes ONE exception to keep RH
from including it.

  2. FLOSS License List

     *License name*                           *Version(s)/Copyright Date*
     Academic Free License                    2.0
     Apache Software License                  1.0/1.1/2.0
     Apple Public Source License              2.0
     Artistic license                         From Perl 5.8.0
     BSD license                              "July 22 1999"
     Common Public License                    1.0
     GNU Library or "Lesser" General Public   2.0/2.1
     License (LGPL)
     Jabber Open Source License               1.0
     MIT license                              -
     Mozilla Public License (MPL)             1.0/1.1
     Open Software License                    2.0
     PHP License                              3.0
     Python license (CNRI Python License)     -
     Python Software Foundation License       2.1.1
     Sleepycat License                        "1999"
     W3C License                              "2001"
     X11 License                              "2001"
     Zlib/libpng License                      -

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy