Re: Thinking on a "smart upgrading" to the near FC3

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 11:42:51AM -0200, Thudor Brasilis wrote:
> I'm already thinking on a fresh install of the soon to be current FC3.
> I have  the separated /home partition  as a rule. Every time I need to
> upgrade I need to backup the /home partition and start the installation
> from scratch.
> What I do think is that there must be a different way to do a fresh
> install without needing to reformat the whole HD. I think that it is
> only necessary to reformat the /boot and the /  (root) partitions.
> Anyone has the "grand-mommy" recipe?

Or the "grand-daddy recipe". And luckily for the old folks, it's really
easy: simply do what you've been doing, but when you get to the partitioning
screen (and you'll need to make the choices that let you get to that screen
-- no automatic partitioning), there's options to choose which partitions
get reformatted and which don't. You're exactly right -- choose to wipe the
system partitions and leave /home untouched.