cdrtools

http://www.fokus.fhg.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

The above site emphatically states that Redhat provides a version of cdrtools not to the liking of the developer.
Why did Redhat/Fedora make changes to Mr Schilling's product?

If I were to follow the developers advice and compile from source, what would I be hurting?
Anyone running virgin cdrtools code on their FC2?

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill ycc com