Video capturing - Pinnacle

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 28 17:31:00 UTC 2004

YigalB wrote:
>>On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 13:46 +0200, YigalB wrote:
>>
>>>I asked Pinnacle about Linux software and they answer was "we don't
>>>have and will not have". Any idea how to continue? Or is it one of
>
> the
>
>>>"I must keep an XP computer for certain applications".
>>
>>It's more like "buy a cheaper video capture device that has Linux
>>drivers."  I looked for a USB capture device with Linux drivers to use
>>on my laptop but I never found one that works well.  Both the Dazzle
>>DVC80 and WinTV USB were quite bad.
>>
>>Many PCI capture devices such as WinTV PCI or TV Wonder work perfectly.
>>(TV Wonder VE $30US vs DVC150 $150US)
>>

>>As for software, Kino is a popular video editing program.  It supports
>>DV sources and any capture device with Video4Linux drivers.
>

> [<Yigal>] I need to capture analog video. Before I bought it I
> considered many parameters and preferred USB because I can move it
> between computers easily. I just forgot to check the Linux drivers issue
> - I was sure it's obvious. Is there anything I can do now to use it with
> Fedora?

I am looking at a device as well and I have been looking at
   http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-100/pt_advc-100.asp

I found a site that explains how to use this with Linux and Kino.  It
isn't USB but it is supposed to work.  There is supposed to be one
around work that I want to try.

--
Robin Laing