hd probleme on fedora

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Oct 29 02:36:54 UTC 2004

priou wrote:
> hi,

> i have 2 hd on my computeur :
> /dev/hda 40go ( linux systeme partition ext3 )
> /dev/hdb 80go ( linux partition ext3 )

>  my /dev/hdb have four principal partition  ( 4x20go)

What 4 partitions were they?   1, 2, 3, & 4?
None of them were currently mounted when you did this, right?

> now i would like 2 partions, but i try : fdisk /dev/hdb
>
> - delette all partition
> - write info on Hd

Any messages from fdisk?  After the w command?  After the q command?
What does "fdisk -l /dev/hdb" tell you now?  It should show you an empty
partition table....

You may need to sync your file systems after the write, though when
using a journaled fs like ext3, this *should* be unnecessary, and
shutting down the system normally should do this for you anyways.
Besides, if the hdb partitions aren't mounted, there should be nothing
to sync....especially after they have been deleted.  You just need to
ensure that the boot sector write gets flushed to disk.

> after i ve rebooted my computer  and i run another time : fdisk /dev/hdb
>  - create partition

What does "fdisk -l /dev/hdb" tell you *before* you try and create the 2
new partitions (1 & 2, right)?  It should show you the same empty
partition table as before you rebooted!  If not, something else is
happeneing!

> but fdisk read my old partition and allocate only 20go, why ?

My guess is you never unmounted your old partitions when you ran
fdisk....they were still in use when you rebooted, and the partition
table never really got changed....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com