Video capturing - Pinnacle

YigalB byigal at zahav.net.il
Fri Oct 29 07:52:46 UTC 2004

>You can also get a PCI TV tuner card (e.g. Hauppage or AverMedia's
>PCTV--anything based on the Brooktree chipset), load up the bttv
>driver and have at it with all of the wonderful v4l (video for linux)
>software out there.
[<Yigal>]
When money isn't issue: you have a point. My problem is that I already
bought the DVC150 from Pinnacle - and I think it's a good product. I
don't like PCI solution because I have to bend down to look for the
cables - now it's all on the desk.
The problem, I think, is because Pinnacle prefer to sell SW, not just
HW, so they don't want to release Linux version which will might kill
their software business (my guess).
I wouldn't even ask for full Linux SW - I would settle just for the
drivers, to allow any SW on the Linux side to interface the capturing
device, but again - I assume it conflicts their business model.

Is there any procedure in which Linux community ask a specific company
to release Linux driver? What would be their motivation to do that?