manually assigned mac address

Gary Harthill gary.harthill at mirago.com
Fri Oct 29 08:17:02 UTC 2004

I used this method on some of my machines. When you ifdown with an
invalid MAC address (ie not the same one as the board is given) the
system hangs. Is this just localized to my machines hardware type?

Mike Burger wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Richard Worwood wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to work out how to configure a manually assigned mac
address
>>onto an interface without much luck.
>>
>>Does anyone know how ?
>>

>There are tools to do this, for which you could google, but, other than

>using this as an attempt to spoof your IP address, why would you
want/need
>to do this?

I know this sort of thing can be useful for some failover mechanisms
with active and hot spare servers, but you may be better off using
clustering tools instead of home grown.

In any case inspection of the ifup script and testing indicate that it
is possible to do within the interface configurations.  Include the
following directive in your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX
configuration file, substituting the desired mac address:
MACADDR=00:11:22:33:44:55

Chris