About "How do I make XMMS play MP3s?" from a new comer

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri Oct 29 08:58:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:42:17 +0800, wpj wrote:

> hi, all.
>     I'm a new comer. I asked a question and got an answer in the
> following link:  http://www.fedorafaq.org/#xmms-mp3

> According the two answers above, I have downloaded the file
> "yum-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm" from http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

First mistake: Maybe the FAQ is misleading, but Yum is included
since Fedora Core 1. No need to download it from an external site.

> executed it. And I have downloaded file "yum.conf" in the answer No.2,
> and replace my /etc/yum.conf without modifications.

Second mistake is, at the top of the FAQ it says:

    "This is the FAQ for Fedora Core 2. I also have an archived version
    of the Fedora Core 1 FAQ, if you're interested in that."

You use Fedora Core 1, not Fedora Core 2.

> [root at localhost root]# yum install xmms-mp3
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> retrygrab() failed for:
>
> http://mirror.clarkson.edu/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/headers/header.info
>   Executing failover method
> retrygrab() failed for:

The repositories for FC1 use an older and different directory layout,
where the "headers" directory is elsewhere.

You could point your favourite web browser to above http URL and
browse the directory to find out where the "headers" directory is ;),
or you use a prebuilt yum.conf for FC1.

P.S. If I had the option, I would convert the FC1 repositories to the
newer FC2 structure, too, but the maintainers don't do that
unfortunately.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.8-1.541
loadavg: 0.30 0.19 0.19