Squid Performance - Default Options Tweak?

Livhuwani Tshisikule livhu.tshisikule at telkomsa.net
Fri Oct 29 11:39:09 UTC 2004

On Friday 29 October 2004 13:36, Kh Linux wrote:
> Thank you again Paul.
>
> > Why are you forwarding DNS queries to your ISP's nameservers rather than
> > having your bind look them up itself? I find that running my own
>
> nameserver
>
> > works much better than forwarding all queries to my ISP.
>
> That is a very good question. I thought, my ISP server would handle queries
> better and more up to date in terms of root name servers information.
> Maybe, I was wrong.
> Well, i'll take your suggestion now to switch to my own DNS server. But one
> more thing, is there a major bug in the BIND version that comes with RedHat
> 9?
> I noticed that, we cannot stop it with 'service named stop'; I had to do
> 'killall named'.
>
> Thank you very much. How about Squid? Any suggestions on its default
> options tweak?
>
> Regards,
> Vidol

I had the same problem, I configured one machine as a cache nameserver, and
the other machines uses it as the nameserver. Internet surfing is fast now. I
found out that resolving names using ISP DNS takes a long time and that it
times out a lot and squid was not the problem. Try to use tcpdump to see what
is happening.

Rehards
Livhu