Squid Performance - Default Options Tweak?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Oct 29 13:03:07 UTC 2004

Kh Linux wrote:
> Well, i'll take your suggestion now to switch to my own DNS server. But one
> more thing, is there a major bug in the BIND version that comes with RedHat
> 9?
> I noticed that, we cannot stop it with 'service named stop'; I had to do
> 'killall named'.

This isn't something I've noticed, as I never really have any need to stop
named. After making any changes to the bind configuration, I just use "rndc
reload" rather than stopping and starting the nameserver.

> Thank you very much. How about Squid? Any suggestions on its default options
> tweak?

I use squid and haven't had any problems like the one you mention. I suspect
the problem is not with squid.

I think it's more likely that your 100 or so Windows boxes may be doing bogus
DNS lookups in your.domain.local and that could be causing the problem.
Looking at the query logs should resolve whether or not that is the case.

Paul.