Some thoughts about yum and repositories

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Fri Oct 29 13:21:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 08:19 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
> Douglas Furlong said:
> > There is a slight problem with this, yum install repo-livna-blah blah
> > blah would require yum to already have the repo listed.
> >
> > So what may make MORE sense, is to one repo, where people like
> > freshrpm's, livna, dag's et all submit there "repo rpm".
>
> Does this really give any advantages over:
>
> rpm -i http://my.new.repo.com/repo-blah.noarch.rpm

The advantage is that you would not have to go searching to see what
repo's are available. Admittedly things like fedoratracker makes this
job less cumbersome.

> Once you try to go the "one repo" approach you have to take politics into
> consideration.  Most of those repos will never go on an "official" list
> from Fedora (because of the legal concerns).  And there are already
> packaging conflicts with just the three you listed.

Yes, I understand all of that, and mentioned most of it in the post
(stating that this would not be an out of the box set up, couldn't be
bothered to type it all out as it's been bashed through many times on
the list, and I agree with Fedora's stance).

With regards to the conflicts, I also pointed that out.

I'm not giving an answer to every thing, I'm making a suggestion, for
hopefully some one to come back with a positive agreement/disagreement
with what I suggested.

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator