About "How do I make XMMS play MP3s?" from a new comer

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Fri Oct 29 13:55:18 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 29.10.2004 schrieb wpj um 7:42:

> According the two answers above, I have downloaded the file
> "yum-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm" from http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/ and
> executed it. And I have downloaded file "yum.conf" in the answer No.2,
> and replace my /etc/yum.conf without modifications. Then I did as No.13
> said. But I don't understand the step ( Set up your yum.conf to be able
> to access rpm.livna.org. ) in No.13. The result is listed as following:

> [root at localhost root]# yum install xmms-mp3
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> retrygrab() failed for:

You just have to get used to yum and adding new repositories, I think,
that's all. After a day or so it's normal.

So you obviously have not added the livna repository to your
/etc/yum.conf.

Edit your /etc/yum.conf (e.g. with gedit) as root:
# gedit /etc/yum.conf

Add the following lines:

########################
### Livna Repository ###
########################

[livna-stable]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
baseurl= http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/stable
gpgcheck=1

Save the changes.

Then add the gpg-key of livna as root:
# rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

After that you should be able to get mp3 support. Do as root:
# yum install xmms-mp3

--
Regards
Markus