Downloaded updates from FC2

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Oct 29 14:51:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 16:30 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> It is a matter of download speed from a local machine versus a remote
> mirror. We update 60 machines so the time difference would be
> significant.

Something as simple as this:

# rsync -av ftp://SERVER/PATH/ /local/updates/

can be run from cron once or twice a day. Then you automatically have
*all* updates for that Fedora version on one box, downloaded exactly
once. And rsync will keep that directory updated for you.

Then you either NFS-export that directory to each machine, and tell
up2date to use the "dir" option to get its updates from a local
directory, or you make that directory a yum repository (very easy) and
point all your machines to it.

The tools are all there. Should take 5-10 minutes to set the whole thing
up. I have previously posted the scripts I used to run a full Red Hat
mirror; modifying those to easily mirror one or two updates directories
(i.e. FC1/updates and FC2/updates) is trivial. See:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=109448240930737&w=2

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>