Re: lp and lpr "stdin is empty"

I just upgraded to Fedora core 2 from core 1, and now lp and lpr
cannot read from standard input.

[allan mybox bin]$ /usr/bin/lp < /etc/hosts
lp: stdin is empty, so no job has been sent.
[allan mybox bin]$ /usr/bin/lp /etc/hosts
request id is laserjet-977 (1 file(s))

It does work if the output of a device is to standard input.  I used the lpr -P (printerid) --stdin with Mozilla's print to send printer output to a specific printer and has since I 'discovered' this fix when using RH9.

How about trying the following and see if it works cat <file> | lp

James Mckenzie

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!