Squid Performance - Default Options Tweak?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Oct 29 17:37:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 18:22 +0700, Kh Linux wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> I am installing Squid on RedHat 9 out of the Distro CDs on a Dell PowerEdge
> 1300 Server, Pentium III RAM 256MB. I've been trying it out for 1 week now
> with the default options. It seems very slow.

Don't install old software. Move to Fedora Core, and I suggest you move
to Fedora Core 3 which will be released on November 8th.

Note that everything you do will be slow if you are saturating 1 Mbps.
Find out what is wrong with that first. Also, try not forwarding DNS
queries to your ISP.

Remember, the software you are using was declared at "End Of Life" more
than six months ago. You are going to find it difficult to get help. Did
you at least make sure to install *all* patches and upgrades available
for your operating system?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>