Linux builds for PowerPC?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri Oct 29 18:54:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 19:04, Adam Boettiger wrote:
> Thanks Darren. In doing research I saw that Debian (the core
> build) has a version that is PPC compatible. Is there any
> reason why I would not use Debian over Ubuntu?

I'm not a Debian user, so don't take anything I say as being
authoritative in any way. Debian seems to have been under some internal
criticism for still not releasing the new stable version -- the current
stable is *very* out of date. Ubuntu is a commercially backed
distribution that has had *very* favourable reviews and is bang up to
date. Ubunto roll all their work back into the main Debian tree, so if
you're willing to wait long enough, or run Debian unstable, then you
might as well run Debian. However, from the reviews I've been reading if
I was to switch to a Debian based distribution I would switch to Ubuntu.
One caveat: if you're a KDE user you're out of luck; Ubuntu only ships
with GNOME.

Best, Darren