Problem with Mailman

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Oct 30 18:03:39 UTC 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Steven Stern wrote:

> I just installed mailman from the Fedora repository.

> The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered a fatal error. This entry is being stored
> in your syslog:
>
> Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the CGI wrapper script to be
> executed as one of the following groups:
> [apache],
> but the system's web server executed the CGI script as group: "nobody".
> Try tweaking the web server to run the script as one of these groups:
> [apache],
> or re-run configure providing the command line option:
> '--with-cgi-gid=nobody'.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> I'm running Apache under the default "nobody" setting (and at this point, I
> really don't want to change that).  How do I tweak mailman to accept "nobody"

You already changed it. The default that comes with fedora is apache.

> or tell Apache to run mailman's scripts with the group "apache"?

If you insist on using non-standard installations then you must follow the
instructions above. OTOH if you just install the httpd and mailman packages
that come with fedora, you will not have this problem. What more could you ask
for?

The bottom line here is unless you really understand what you are doing, do
NOT deviate from the default configuration.

Regards,

Tom