AMD cpu slows down (I think)

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 04:38:41 UTC 2004

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:38:38 -0300, Trevor Smith <trevor at haligonian.com> wrote:
> On October 30, 2004 2:25 pm, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> >  The best thing is to use a
> > governor.  Powernowd is pretty good, and it's simple.  You can get it
> > from http://www.deater.net/john/powernowd.html  Do some looking around
> > in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ and report back what you
> > find.
>
> Hmm... I downloaded and did make, make install, but I'm not sure what next.
> powernowd does not appear in my services utility so I can't set it to start
> or not on boot, nor does it appear to be running.

Yeah, you have to create a script, put it in /etc/init.d/ and run a
couple of commands to get it to start on boot.  I'd give you more
details, but I'm in Windows at the moment.  I'll send you mine that I
made up, if you want it, next time I go back to the Light Side : ).
In the mean time, you can start it manually as root.  I think it may
have come with an init script, but you need to add some comments to it
to use chkconfig and have it start at boot.  Look at some other
scripts in /etc/init.d/ and edit the one that came with powernowd.
The comments should be pretty obvious.  Something like
# chkconfig 2345 5 95
where the last two numbers indicate when it will start and stop in the
boot and shutdown sequence.  You want this to start early, stop late.

> It says, "This means that you -need- to be running Linux v2.5 or later that
> includes the sysfs interface." I am running kernel-2.6.8-1.521 but I don't
> think I have the sysfs interface.

If you have the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ directory and
all the files in it, then yes, you do have the sysfs interface.  It
should be there on the Fedora kernels, at least as a module.  I custom
compiled my kernel so I don't remember exactly; I need psmouse as a
module and wanted ntfs support (before I realized that you could
download the module).

If the afore mentioned cpuspeed command (from Satish) worked, then you
must be running the cpuspeed daemon, which does the same thing.  I'm
not sure how to configure that one, but you should be able to get it
to do the frequency scaling as well.

Jonathan