Problem copying files

Tor Harald Thorland linux at mis.no
Sun Oct 31 11:02:31 UTC 2004

Sorry about the late answer, but i'm working at sea..

man, 25.10.2004 kl. 19.23 skrev Ian Malone:
> Tor Harald Thorland <linux at mis.no> wrote:
>
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I have tried to copy some files with some norwegian characters in the
>  > file name.
>  > FC 2 is not happy with them and keeps complaining that it cannot write
>  > them.. What can I do to make FC2 accept norwegian characters in
>  > filenames?
>
> Don't know if I can help, but the people who can probably need to know
> more:

The kde file manager says the following:
Could not write to /mnt/.....

> Are you doing this from the command line or a filemanager?

I have tried both from the filemanager in KDE and from midnight
commander..

> Do you have the right permissions?  If creating the new file, do you
> have write permission for the directory you're copying to?  Does the
> destination file already exist read-only?  (check by ls -lh)
> Do you have enough free space (df -h)?

It is a flash drive.. I have enough space, the right permissions and so
on.. it is copying all the other files, except for the ones with
norwegian characters..

> What does
> $echo $LANG
> say?  (Given FC2, hopefully (something).UTF-8 )

[tortho at dsl-65-199 Jobb]$ echo $LANG
no_NO.UTF-8
[tortho at dsl-65-199 Jobb]$

> What file systems are you copying to and from (at the very least
> the output of mount would be useful)?

[tortho at dsl-65-199 Jobb]$ mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/flash2 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=tortho)
[tortho at dsl-65-199 Jobb]$

The one i'm trying to write to is flash2..

> What are the names of the files in question?  I managed:

One of the files is called nødbrannpumpe.doc

> $ touch Skarphéðinn
> $ cp Skarphéðinn /tmp
> $ ls /tmp/Skarphéðinn
> /tmp/Skarphéðinn