16x9 aspect ratio display

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Sun Oct 31 16:43:16 UTC 2004

On Sunday 31 Oct 2004 15:36, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> Is anyone using a 19" or larger 16x9 aspect ratio LCD on FC2 (or FC3tX)
> running Gnome as the GUI? If so, I'd like to know what brand/model of
> LCD and video board you're using and if you like it. Any glitches during
> installation or usage?

I very much doubt the brand or model of monitor will make any difference at
all. Afterall, it just recieves a picture and neither knows nor cares if it
comes from Windows/Linux or anything else.

I just put GNOME into a 16:9 resolution wihtout any problems. Since the
computer doesn't need to know the physical side of the monitor It's a good
bet that so long as the panel doesn't do anything REALLY stupid (like violate
the DVI spec) you won't have any problems.

> Initially, I want to use the wider screen format for writing C code via
> emacs. More info per eye full.

Really?

Most 16:9 monitors I see are lower resolution versions of the more square
equivalent. For example, I have a 5:4 19inch TFT which runs at 1280x1024. The
16:9 version is more expensive but uses 1280x720 - about 30% less pixels.

At a given diagonal size the area of a 16:9 screen will also be less, although
wider. A 19inch 5:4er is 14.8x11.9, or 176 sq inches, whereas a 16:9er is
16.6x9.2, or 107 sq inches. So about 40% less area.