How about the support of FC for laptop?

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Sun Oct 31 19:57:39 UTC 2004

Park Lee wrote:
> Hi,
> Would you please tell me How about the support of Fedora Core for
> notebook PC(aka laptop)? and what kinds of notebook PC can be supported
> by Fedora Core (such as FC2, FC3) ?
>
> Thanks a lot !

also don't be afraid to try FC1 if things go nuts. In my experience,
there are two, new, major problems in FC2 WRT notebooks:

a) "Crazy Mouse". This is some type of kernel issue with mice. The mouse
goes nuts and flys all over the screen. There are kernel options that
can help with this; "google" for "psmouse.proto" to see the struggles.

b) X.org docking and undocking, as well as xscreensaver, cause display
hangs and instabilities. All dell notebooks I deal with can no longer
dock/undock (change displays properly) with FC2. They do not install
properly either (requiring admin hacking to get the conf file correct).
They were fine with FC1. It might be something other than X.org, I
really don't know. X just scrambles the display and a power off is
necessary to recover when a dock/undock is attempted. I can ssh in, if I
have the time.

These two problems have caused me some stress. Nothing quite like having
people screaming in my face because FC2 barfed on their notebook in the
middle of a presentation!

My only problem with using Fedora is the management team will release
"on schedule" even if major new bugs are introduced. This is contrary to
most professional management paradigms...I guess they are trying to make
  some kind of point that "software can be delivered on time...no matter
what".

---
John