How Can I Improve Linux Speed

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 14:20:12 UTC 2004

Donald_Sass at gov.nt.ca wrote:

> In order to acquire some self education and to experiment with Linux, I
> loaded the Gnome 2.0  Fedora Linux release onto an old 200Mhz 64K
> laptop.                                                       ^^^

I'm hoping you meant 64M, not 64k!

> The laptop previously had Windows 2K installed.
>
> The laptop performed reasonably using W2k and it was an acceptable
> machine for small applications (spreadsheet, word processing, etc). The
> Fedora Linux O/S is very slow, it is unusable for any application.
>
> Is there something wrong, should Fedora be as fast as W2K?

The gnome desktop is pretty resource-intensive.  Try something lighter
like XFCE (http://www.xfce.org; XFCE packages are included with Fedora
Core2, if that's what you're using).

You can still use gnome apps with XFCE as long as the gnome libraries
remain installed; you just don't get the resource-intensive desktop and
eye-candy.

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)