CD-ROM proplem

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Sep 8 01:02:13 UTC 2004

Bill Tetens wrote:
> I have a DVD ROm in my box but totme has a problem and will not work.
> The DVD is a Sony but will have to take it out to get the model number.
>
> When I use the hardware browser it shows the DVD as follows:
> Manufacture  DVD-ROM
> Driver none or builtin
> Device  /dev/hdb
>
> When I use the terminal command df -h I get the following:
>
> /dev/hda2
> /dev/hda1
> none 506M  0  506M 05.dev/shm
>
> Where I was reading showed a entry line of /dev/cdrom which does not
> appear on mine
>
> My question is if my DVD Rom is mounted or even where the box recognizes
> it.  I thought that maybe this would be my problem with totem not
> working but do not yet have enough info to tell.
>
> Thanks

There are additional files that Totem needs to play back commercial DVDs.

If you have your /etc/yum.conf configured similar to that found at
fedorafaq.org, you can install them with the following command:

# yum install libdvd* libmad*

Next I recommend your starting totem from the command line to view its
output. Even after installing the required decryption files, totem will
take a fairly long time to carry out the decryption. Thus starting totem
from the command line will tell you some idea of its progress. Then you
can kick back with a refreshing beverage of your choice with your
favorite movie.

Hope this helps,
Clint