Linux text editors

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Sep 16 00:39:41 UTC 2004

--On Wednesday, September 15, 2004 9:16 AM -0600 Guy Fraser
<guy at incentre.net> wrote:

> Emacs can do a lot of things and do them well, but it operates very
> differently that the editors you noted, and would require a steep learning
> curve.

I learned it a million years ago using the built-in tutorial. Seemed pretty
straightforward. The basic commands were pretty intuitive. Control with F,
B, N, P goes Forward character, Backward character, Next line, Previous
line. More advanced commands could be learned using the apropos feature.
(What commands operate on windows? "Esc-x-apropos window".)

I learned it back before the introduction of the luxurious VT100 terminal,
when keyboards were much more limited. No arrow keys, and maybe one or two
function keys. Maybe no numeric keypad. No meta/alt keys, and only one
Control key on the left. F1 was not yet the universal help key.