[fedora] Groups

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Sep 17 00:30:13 UTC 2004

--On Thursday, September 16, 2004 2:45 PM +0200 Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> Set the $EDITOR variable too for your unprivileged user, in his
> $USER/.bash_profile. Because that environment stays if you run "su"
> instead of "su -" or "su -l root". /etc/profile or an own file in
> /etc/profile.d/ is the place to set such a variable system wide for all
> users.

I have it identically defined in both ~/.bash_profile and
~root/.bash_profile. That's what's mysterious. The variable loses my mortal
definition if I neglect to use -l on su. (And of course gets root's
definition if use -l.) I'm suspecting that some "helpful" script is
cleaning the environment when I su, presumably as a security measure.