sendmail logs

Carlo Orecchia carlo at numb.darktech.org
Fri Sep 24 13:35:01 UTC 2004

I am using the server as an smtp server. It means all clients
(let's say 192.168.1.20/25) in my lan send mails throughout my server
(let's say 192.168.1.1) which is obviously directly connetted to internet.
(when i say clients i mean for instance outlook express, not other
standalone servers).
To let these clients relay I have for any IP an entrance in the access
like this:

localhost.localdomain RELAY
192.168.1.20 RELAY

Now, what i wonder is why sendmail allows relay even if I remove these
entries. and only does not allow relay if i remove from hosts the
hostname i gave to the machine (e.g. 192.168.1.20 lan01)

About this i guess is because if I remove the hostname the ip does not
resolve so the server does not accept it. So the fact i does
not relay has nothing to do with the access database or access rules in
general.

Anyway why if I remove the 192.168.1.20 RELAY line that machine is still
able to relay?
I obviously run makemap and restart sendmail after having modified access
file and i don't have relay-domains entries (only localhost)

Thanks PAUL i appreciate your help and i hope i was clear enough

carlo

--
Dott. Carlo Orecchia
E-Mail: carlo at numb.darktech.org